Saturday, December 29, 2012

Holiday Dilemma

Every Christmas I find myself putting on a fake smile as I open a gift from my relatives and graciously thank them for their it. In reality, I'm thinking, "When am I ever going to use this?" Gifts like these usually get thrown into the unused gift pile in my room or are recycled as new presents for other people. However, I keep up with the act, not wanting to sound ungrateful, and say things like, "I really like it!" or "I've always needed one of these!" I can't tell if they can see through my fake excitement, so I keep on pretending and keep on the fake smile.

I know that my relatives spent money and time trying to find me a gift, which makes me unable to find the courage to tell them that I don't like the gift, thinking that it would be mean say. However, is it more cruel to be honest and tell them the truth, or to lie and pretend the gift is what I have always dreamed of?


No comments:

Post a Comment